From:
Elizabeth Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:54:25 EDT
Jen et al --
I know it's slightly dishonest, but I have helped moms get pumps through
insurance by writing a letter stating a family (or baby's) history/risk of
food intolerance from ABM.  I have also pointed out that the cost to the
insurer will be lower if they pay for renting the pump than if they have to
pay for sick visits to the doc for the ABM-fed baby.  In addition, when
relevant, I have talked w/ mom's employer to get the employer to help pay for
the pump, using the same arguments, plus less time lost from work by mom due
to baby's illness (I know, the latter is a yucky argument, but hey, we do
what works sometimes, and this at least gets us in the door).  Finally, if
none of these work, and you/the mom still have to pay for your pump, it's
much cheaper and just as effective to buy the Medela Pump-in-Style than to
rent a double electric.

Hope these thoughts help.
Elizabeth Steiner MD
Portland OR