Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:42:35 EST
Amber,
I teach a prenatal breastfeeding class 6-8 times a year. In this class, I
mention that  for years hcp have suggested alcohol consumption to increase
milk production & flow. I then mention that recent studies show decreased
breast milk consumption after alcohol use. I also mention that one study
showed some developmental delays in infants of mothers who consumed 2
alcoholic beverages per day while breastfeeding. (I don't have the reference
handy & don't remember who did this study.) While most hcp feel that some
alcoholic consumption is OK, we are not sure what quantities are safe. I urge
them to remember that alcohol content of blood & breast milk are about the
same. When mom's blood alcohol level is high, so is her breast milk alcohol
level. The alcohol is readily absorbed from her milk, so waiting 2-3  hours as
suggested by Hale is reasonable.
It's an interesting topic. One of my  evals from my recent prenatal BrF class
stated that although she recognized my answer to breastfeeding & drinking
alcohol as being politically correct, she did not think that it was right to
OK the use of alcohol in breastfeeding women. Thanks for your recent
references. I haven't read the ones by Howard & Mennella, so I'll be looking
for those.

Laura Hart, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Winter Park FL....home of Disney World & Sea World