From:
"Stearns, Crystal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 09:09:12 -0500
Hi Shannon,
I have several patients who have sisters and they often breastfeed each
others children without a problem.   I even had a grandmother (nursing a 2
month old) breastfeed her grandson (newborn) and the sister (mother of
newborn) nurse the 2 month old without problems. OH well that's a whole
nother story in itself.
Encourage the mother to give it a try.  It must be horrible for the father
to have lost his wife and now feel so helpless with his own child.  Remind
the father if he is trying to give a bottle, to turn the child in a position
that his mother would have had him in when she would nurse him and maybe
even some skin to skin.  Skin to skin might help them both feel better.
Good luck,

Crystal Stearns RNC, MS, IBCLC
Mercy Memorial Health Center
Ardmore, OK  73401