Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:25:14 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
A friend of mine had the same thing happen. She did end up nursing the baby for 4 years.  Although, there were supply issues.  Over 80% of women who have this happen die.  She is a very, very lucky woman.
Melissa Senf, IBCLC, RN

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mattingly, Jessica
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Breastfeeding following amniotic fluid embolism

PTP

Mother had a planned cesarean at 36 weeks for a complete previa (mom also had GD). Immediately after the baby was born mom experienced a cardiac event which is now believed to have been an amniotic fluid embolism. Dr immediately began chest compression, code was called and mom survived.  She was in the ICU for a little over 48 hours, but began pumping about 24 hours after the birth.  We are now about 84 hours pp (3.5 days).  Mom is attempting to pump regularly, but finds it painful due to several broken ribs.  She also finds the after-pains particularly uncomfortable - she believes due to a stapled incision.  She is not getting any colostrum through either hand expression or pumping.  As I'm writing this I also realize that she does look like she has some fairly significant edema so I think that having her discontinue pumping completely and go strictly to hand expression tomorrow would be wise - thoughts?

What else can we expect from here?  She struggled with supply with her first born and we had discussed things prior to her birth (she hung out at the hospital for nearly a month before the cesarean) and it seems likely management related - though I was suspicious about undiagnosed PCOS.  She had been taking marshmallow root for several days prior to delivery, but has not taken anything since the birth.  Baby was on IV for the first 48 hours and is now being bottle-fed formula as they work to wean from the IV.  I have very little say in NICU feeding policies, but can give information to mom who will work the staff.

Any ideas/ thoughts would be welcome.

Jessica Mattingly, M.Ed., LLLL, IBCLC
St. Mary's Birth Center
Blue Springs, MO

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately. Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PALMETTO HEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2