Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 20:44:02 +0000
>The implication in so much advice is "Do this *thing* for as
>short a time as is absolutely necessary."  Where did this attitude come
>from, that breastfeeding is a necessity, but not to be done with enthusiasm
>nor any longer than you *have* to?  Can you imagine anything else that has
>as much benefit to mother, baby, family, and society being limited to its
>minimal experience?

Don't you think this is just *so* similar to the Victorian attitude to
sex? My grandmother tells me that "in her day", breastfeeding was fine
and quite normal (she is nearly 90yo), but sex was something shameful,
never to be spoken of and only done "as necessary" (at least for women),
for procreation. She boasted that my grandfather had *never* seen her
naked and seemed to think that modern attitudes are quite shocking.

My mother tells me that her mother explained the facts of life to her on
her wedding night with the words "He will want to do 'things'. You must
give into him now and again - at least until the babies come. Try not to
think about it - it isn't that bad and it is your wifely duty".

I know some people will be amazed at that advice being given in 1964!
Now sex is fine and spoken about wherever you look - even in teenage
magazines, but breastfeeding has become the shameful thing you do only
as necessary. Maybe we could move on and make something else shameful -
say skateboarding! :-)
--
Anna (mummy to Emma, born 17th Jan 1995 and Alice, born 11th Sept 1996)
Email: [log in to unmask]  Web Page: http://www.ratbag.demon.co.uk/anna