From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 06:18:56 +0200
Is it 'illegal' to inform women that in the Netherlands or in the UK, anyone
at all can buy domperidone over the counter, for motion sickness?
Just to put the discussion into perspective, I mean.

Domperidone is not in common use here in Norway but I have, very
rarely, heard of mothers obtaining it legally with a prescription from their
doctor, when inducing lactation or when they are having supply problems.
But when I travel I often transfer at Schiphol in Amsterdam and the pharmacy
there has it freely available, in accordance with the way it is classified
for use in the Netherlands.  I haven't sent anyone else there myself but I
will confess to having purchased some once.  It's not illegal to bring OTC
drugs from other countries into Norway if you live here and the drug is for
your own use.

I checked last time I was in the UK and the situation is the same there.
OTC, freely available.  Not saying we should be instructing people to break
the law, but it tells you there is something fishy about the FDA's handling
of domperidone in the US, that two countries with quite modern health care
systems have found it unnecessary to place any restrictions at all on
domperidone.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway