From:
"Jo Mihalik,RN." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 18:20:03 -0600
Hi, all,
        I have a mom who has been breastfeeding x 1 week, now. Mom's nipples
cracked. Baby has spit up small amount of blood twice. Have worked with mom
in the hospital and have achieved some comfortable feedings.  Since discharge,
mom has stated that most of the feedings are painful. Milk is in, baby is
wetting QS, however the stools are still loose, green (mec) 2/ 24 hrs.  I
will be seeing this mom tomorrow at the hospital to assess the latch, and also
to do a pre and post-feed weight. I know about suck-training, and massaging
the jaw (mandible)  Is there anything else that we can work on? I told mom
to take baby off the breast by inserting her finger between the gums, and she
said she had a very hard time getting her finger between the clenched jaws.
This mom is very motivated to continue breastfeeding, in spite of the pain.
Thanks for your advice.
Jo Mihalik, RN, IBCLC in Nashville, TN