From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:03:33 +0800
>The baby is 4 months old, healthy and big (20lbs) but very fussy at the
>breast 1 or 2 times per day. Mother nurses lying down almost always but the
>baby will fuss in any position. There was a case of thrush at 8 weeks that
>was missdiagnosed and almost caused mother to wean. No signs of yeast now
>and no bottles since then. Baby does spit up quite a bit. I observed baby
>fussing at the breast and baby pulls off too soon for it to be a strong MER
>(no streams or even drips of milk seen). Mother has cannot hand express
>even a drop to get baby's attention yet after baby had been on off fussing
>for a while I did see her spraying milk. The mother does get anxious when
>this happens and it may very well delay a letdown and make it worse. Baby
>seems to really want to nurse but pulls off and crys. Will calm down pretty
>easily but begins to fuss again as if hungry. I haven't been able to see
>the baby nurse.  There are no histories of allergies in the baby's family.
>The mother eats little dairy but does drink soy milk.  This mother is very
>sweet and very committed to breastfeeding and I really want to help her
>out.
>
>Thank you,
>Alexandra

To me, there seem to be fairly classic characteristics of food intolerance
here - fussing, occurrence of thrush, spitting up, behaviour at the breast
(pulling off and on and seeming to still want to feed). What is the reason
mother chooses soy instead of dairy? She may not admit to actual
'allergies', but I would delve further into possible intolerances. Has baby
been snuffly? What was baby like in earlier months? What are the stools
like? Any rashes at all? Cradle cap or dry skin? These can all help with
clues to intolerance. Get mum to think hard about *any* food that causes
*any* adverse symptoms in *any* family member. Like, 'My father wouldn't
eat oranges because they gave him diarrhoea'. This sort of comment. It
could even be the soy protein.

Good luck - you often have to be Sherlock Holmes in these sorts of cases!

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]