From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:34:36 +1100
Sounds like these women are acting much as the wet nursing police officer
did after the Wenchuan earthquake. She was lauded as a national hero by the
Chinese people. I wonder if these women will get the same appreciation. I
wonder if maybe it might be the first time for some of them in their working
lives that the fact that they are lactating is seen as a positive, rather
than as a nuisance.
It is true Rachael, breastmilk need not be in short supply and wouldn't we
all help another mother and her child if such help was needed. And there is
no doubt that many, many Haitian mothers are doing the same and sharing
their milk (and their breasts) with infants who need breastmilk. We're just
not getting to hear about them (and rarely we do- Jiang Xiaojuan was an
exceptional case).
Karleen Gribble
Australia