Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:27:44 -0500
 Do I really
>look thru "breastcolored "glasses or did I really see that loving
>expression??

You probably saw what a large part of this mother felt, but she needed a
cheering section. Some women need A LOT of hand holding and non-stop
encouragement in the early days.  Of course, those of you in hospitals
can't "be there" at every feeding or be calling several times a day, but if
an encourager had been there for several feedings, things might have gone
differently.

One mother whom I saw in the hospital was ready to stop feeding because
there was no enthusiasm for it after I left, but her Ped came in and said,
"The very best thing you can do for your little one is breastfeed her."
That did it.

She still needed calls every day once she was home and when things were
still challenging at 2 weeks; but she soon passed the "point of no return"
and was a dedicated breastfeeder.

This is why we need more nurses and Peds who are dedicated to optimal
health through breastfeeding. They can make such a difference in those
first days of vulnerability.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]