From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:59:10 -0400
> One of my clients passed on some information to me today that surprised me.
> She said that another LC had told her there is a higher incidence of SIDS in
> babies that use pacifiers.    Cher,

EA Mitchell published an article in Arch Dis Child about this, the
abstract can be found at:
http://130.14.32.47/cgi-bin/VERSION_B/IGM-client?15789+records+1
a brief quote follows:  "It is concluded that dummy use may protect
against SIDS, but this observation needs to be
 repeated before dummies can be recommended for this purpose. "

PJ Fleming just spoke in the Atlanta BSC conference and he had an as yet
unpublished study that also showed
some apparent SIDS protection associated with the use of "dummies".   He
stated a lot more work needs to be done before we think of this as a
cause and effect type thing and he is not making recommendations on
pacifier use at this time.

Carla