Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:29:23 EST
The explanation for this second credential from IBLCE seems to me to be  very
vague. Who identified a need and what exactly is the need for IBLCE to
create a second exam? This is not a second credential, it is about the 5th or  6th
that would be floating around the lactation community. All of these
"credentials" have created a situation and mess similar to what the nursing  profession
has gotten itself into - multiple credentials, confusion as to what  type of
care is delivered, and splintering the profession. All of these  credentials
have made it very difficult to write language for licensing the  IBCLC. When we
started to write that language in Massachusetts it became very  burdensome to
sort through what these credentials actually meant. Hospitals and  consumers
are already confused enough as it is. The medical profession is   working hard
to limit what advanced practice nurses can do, they created the  physician
assistant credential to limit nursing autonomy. Do we want this to  happen to us
because we cannot figure out what to do with ourselves?

We still haven't gotten the IBCLC credential into the mainstream of health
care, let alone adding yet another credential. I do not think it is up  to
IBLCE to define and steer the lactation profession into troubled waters.  We need
the IBCLC credential marketed better and strengthened with a  defined college
level education as an entry requirement, reimbursement  codes for lactation
services, and autonomy in the profession (not a watered  down hand maiden
mentality).

I remain very concerned over a lack of transparency within IBLCE and am
uneasy over our future.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA