From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:44:30 +1100
This is one of the strengths of Lactnet, that we get to see into the worlds
of others. Many of us who are in places where maternity leave is considered
a human right, even in the armed services, have our jaws drop when we read
about this. Glad that things are getting better though.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

 Of course I do...but this is the *military* we are talking about.  They
have an obligation to uphold the security of the country they are serving,
and the mission *always* comes first.  And the mothers who have taken that
oath to uphold the constitution and so forth, have an obligation to fulfill
their contract.  This isn't like the corporate world where you can just say
"I quit".  In actuality the military has come a long ways since I was
serving, 3 of the 4 services now offer a 1 year deferment from deployment
and policies/regulations in place that new mothers can use to talk with
their supervisors.  Is it perfect?  By no means...but it is certainly better
than nothing.