From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:16:22 -0400
I know that all devices are just tools to bring the breastfeeding dyad to
the end result of total breastfeeding.
I have worked with many kinds of breastfeeding pillows and not pillows at
all, just slings and lots of leaning back. However once again I see the
pproper tool as being very effective for all mothers with disabilities and
have worked with mothers who had either one missing arm or an arm that was
lame from a stroke or Mom's own birth trauma. Breastfeeding pillows that tie
around the back and have a bit of back support are very effeective for these
moms. Slings used in differing positions or a long wrap are also effective.

All of these devices are very important also for the moms with severe carple
tunnel. Different strokes for different folks and don't throw the baby out
with the bath water are phrases we must remember. We work with so many
different situations and difficult situations. I use the "What ever works
method" and doesn't make life more difficult for the nursing dyad. This is
when lengthy assesments are very necessary.

Attie Sandink RN. IBCLC. RLC