From:
Denise bulpitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:35:17 -0500
It also seems ..at least in our hospital that so much of our yearly required education is done via computer on the "assumed" downtime, that it becomes almost meaningless, another thing to check off before your yearly evaluation.

I replied down list about the CT Breastfeeding Coalition's..CT Breastfeeding Initiative that is helping 10 hospitals statewide become baby friendly.  This included teaching the 2 day course to groups of hospitals as well as consultant help and support.

Both NICHQ and CDC are starting work on offering a similar type program nationwide.  I think a collaborative effort could be not only helpful in the goal of achieving baby friendly but highly motivational to the staff involved.

More information here:
http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/Coalitions/CDCUSBCBiMonthlyTeleconferences/tabid/76/Default.aspx

The Joint Commission is now looking at EXclusive Breast milk fed infants as a perinatal core measure, one would hope that may motivate more administrators to require breastfeeding education of the maternal/child staffs as part of their regular education programs.

Denise Bulpitt RN BSN IBCLC
St. Vincent's Medical Center
Bridgeport, Ct.