From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:12:10 EST
Another section that mixes up all the "info" as if breastfeeding and AF are
interchangeable:

1. I am breastfeeding and my baby seems to be hungry every 2 hours. What can
I do to stretch the time between feedings to 3 to 4 hours?
ANSWER: Babies commonly nurse every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during the first week or
two of life. Once the mother's milk supply is established, the time between
feedings usually lengthens. By the end of the first month, most mothers and
babies

4. Should extra water be given to my baby?
ANSWER: Under normal circumstances, breast milk or formula provides the baby
with all the water needed. A daily bottle of water is not needed. When an
infant is exposed to circumstances that increase water losses, such as high
environmental temperatures, the offering of extra water is reasonable. Plain
water is fine. If the breastfeeding baby refuses water, more frequent nursing
will normally prevent dehydration.

7. Should I feed my baby right away when he cries?
ANSWER: That depends on the circumstances. If your baby begins to cry 3 to 5
hours after the last feeding, offering formula/milk first may be the logical
choice. However, if the crying occurs before you anticipate the next feeding,
check for other causes. Does the baby need a diaper change? Are they too hot
or too cold? Is he or she comforted simply by being held? Over the first few
weeks with your baby, you will learn to identify the signals your baby gives
you. Through trial and error you will find out which responses best meet your
baby's needs.

11. When can I expect my child to stop waking up at night for a feeding?
ANSWER: The number of consecutive hours an infant sleeps at night increases
with age. A majority of babies sleep 6 consecutive hours by 12 weeks of age,
and 8 consecutive hours by 20 weeks. However, this does not mean that all
babies will be sleeping through the night by 20 weeks. As many as one-third
will still be having fewer than 6 consecutive hours of sleep at this age.

12. How do I know when my baby has eaten enough food or formula/milk at a
feeding?
ANSWER: Over the first few weeks of life, parents will learn their baby's
signals of fullness. During bottle feeding or breast- feeding, the sucking
becomes less vigorous or stops. When spoon feeding is introduced at 4 to 6
months, the baby may indicate fullness by refusing to open his mouth or
turning the head away.

13. How do I know if my baby is getting enough food/milk?
ANSWER:Your baby's growth will indicate whether he is getting enough to eat.
Your baby's weight, length, and head circumference are measured at each
check-up. These are plotted on growth curves. Most babies will establish a
growth pattern that falls within a particular growth channel. A change in
this pattern may indicate a feeding or other health problem. If you are
concerned about your baby's growth or diet, ask your physician to discuss the
growth record with you.

21. How do I stop breastfeeding?
ANSWER: Gradual discontinuation of breastfeeding results in minimal
discomfort to the nursing mother. This is done by replacing one feeding at a
time with a cup or a bottle, depending on the age of the infant. Since a
woman's milk supply is regulated by the baby's suckling, the volume of milk
decreases rapidly to the lower level of demand. A feeding may be dropped
every 3 to 5 days or at longer intervals if desired. Sudden cessation of
breastfeeding often results in engorgement and discomfort. Some women may
experience fever, chills, and malaise which may last 3 to 4 days.