From:
Melissa Brancho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 18:47:57 -0400
Cindy Curtis RN, IBCLC wrote:

> I would recommend the young girl to go through a formal drug
> rehab program, perhaps an out pt one, and frequent blood checks
> on the mom for marijuana use. by frequent I mean every other
> day or so... If mom is committed to BF, then great, but she
> needs to be committed to STOP using drugs first!!  If she cant
> do this, then I think there is only one alternative.... formula
> :(  but at least formula is drug free.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ~                  Cindy  RN, IBCLC                    ~
> ~                                                      ~
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Having been there multiple times and having worked in rehabs years ago, I do not believe
that a drug program is the way to go sat this time.  I think it is mom who must make
this decision and be ready to face the consequences as they come.  I guarrantee that
once she enters drug rehab she will not breastfeed.  It has been my experience that they
give you information about how polluted your body is and how long it will take for this
stuff to get out of your system that she will be terrified to breastfeed her baby.  That
is assuming the rehab will be convinced she is drug dependant and she will be willing
to accept that and help herself (not all do you know).

There is always the possibility she will not be found as drug dependant.  This happens
alot when the drug use doesn't interfere with their lives and doesn't or hasn't lead to
other forms of drug use.  Drug use does not equal addiction.

I for one would be seriously concerned with the pesticide aspect of the whole thing.  I
do know that some growers use the nastiest pesticides out there and even hormone
products to yield better product.  Fine that mom takes that risk if she chooses but
should baby be exposed to such nasty stuff?   Is there information out there that
definately says that pot use affects breastfeeding adversely more so than cig smoking?
I have looked and not found anything except that risks are similar to smoking cig (milk
supply dwindles).  I would like to hear of any info someone has out there that says one
way or the other on this one.
--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner