From:
Amanda Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 20:57:11 -0400
A local woman was asked to cover up or nurse in the office while at a local baseball game. She stated it was her right to nurse where ever she wanted and the man rolled his eyes at her. So she asked to speak to someone about this. She got a manager, the owner of the ball park, and the man that approached her. They stated they did know the law but people had complained so they felt the need to say something. They then told her the conversation was over and she was dismissed.
This woman was the past chairperson of our local Breastfeeding Task Force so she is well aware of her rights and is an IBCLC. But at that moment she was angered and feels that she didn't come across in a way that will educate them or help them know how to handle future complaining patrons. This woman is also part of a very large parenting group that is calling/ demanding a nurse in. She is hurt by the rude treatment she received. She is asking for help in how to proceed. She wants the ball field employees to be educated on how to deal with complaints about moms nursing their babies. She has approached a local female news anchor- she stated the channel would cover a nurse-in. But sometimes nurse-ins have the opposite effect that we want them to.

What are some other ways to handle the situation?

I encouraged her to call them or go down there and try to speak to management again to let them know she still feels unsettled about the situation and to offer them a free inservice from the local task force on how to handle complaints and to make sure they know what the law is. Task force even has those awesome window decals to have them show they support NIP. ;)

So wise women from all walks of life, what would you do???

P.S- this happened on the 4th, you know the day we celebrate our freedom:)