From:
Bonny Nothern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 20:27:54 -0500
Dear Cindy,

This is my first foray onto LACNET so I will introduce myself briefly. I am a private practice IBCLC(1993), pump depot, and vice-president of our Mass. ILCA affiliate.

I am interested in the information that your lawyer gave you about the legal implications of providing a list of LCs. We in MLCA (Mass. LCA) publish an LC list every year and one thing we haven't insisted on, until this year, is that everyone be IBCLCs. Another organization, Mass. Friends of Midwives, publishes a guide to perinatal resources without checking people's qualifications. Our state Breastfeeding Roundtable is in the process of preparing a guide to lactation resources. I don't think that any of us have considered legal implications of publishing such a list. Is there something different about the Net? Or about your state? Or should we look into this further?

Thank you.

Bonny Nothern, IBCLC
Vice-president, Massachusetts Lactation Consultant Association