Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:39:44 -0500
Re: << I am looking for information for a client who has a 4 month old who is
partially Breastfeeding and recently learned she is pregnant with triplets.
Thank you
Rose Straeter, IBCLC >>

What kind of info are you seeking? Not clear from the post, so please understand that I'm jumping to conclusions with my response! This expectant mom is at extremely high risk for preterm birth. It's less a matter of will she deliver preterm and more one of how preterm will she deliver. (She may be at more risk because of how close these pregnancies are.) The ONLY info available re: BF while pregnant is that there is no evidence that it affects the uterus/cervix in the ABSENCE of risk for preterm birth. Since multiples are always at risk for preterm birth and the more multiples, the greater the risk, this woman does not fit into that low-risk category re: BF during pregnancy. And we don't know whether or how much of an effect the release of oxytocin with BF creates on a more susceptible cervix. (Many women expecting multiples are expected by 20 weeks to stop having orgasm with release of oxytocin and intercourse with ejactulation re: prostaglandin in semen.) In addition she has a major nutritional issue when building 3 little bodies/healthy placentas, plus self-maintenance nutrition, plus milk production... in addition to nutritional concerns for the 4 month old, which probably aren't as great with partial BF.

There are mothers of twins who have BF through pregnancy -- some did OK and others delivered
early or had preterm labor and had to abruptly wean due to cervical change. (If she experiences preterm labor, in all likelihood she will be expected to wean very abruptly -- and reasonably so.) If her babies come earlier than late preterm/near term, how would she feel if she thought she might have given them more time in there? None of us can answer that...

One thing that is crucial is her absolute honesty about this with her OB care provider. You didn't mention how far along she is with the triplet pregnancy. If early, "vanishing" multiple syndrome is fairly common phenomenon; if second trimester,  many docs are comfortable with continued BF with gradual weaning by about 20 weeks.

If your client is interested, there are some mothers who BF triplets on the Yahoo group AP Multiples. (There's a quick link at Links on my web site: www.karengromada.com/)

I don't think I need to defend myself as a strong proponent of BF, but triplets is a special situation and IMHO babies deserve every opportunity to incubate as long as possible...

The very best to your client. She's dealing with a lot of change in a brief period of time! She's lucky to have someone concerned and seeking info, although I'm not sure if this addresses what you are seeking.

Karen G