From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:29:37 -0400
Dear Jack, this reminds me of my very first relactation or delayed
lactation or whatever you want to  call it.  Mom vss in US from Italy, had
baby about 2 mo early,  wasn't sure if baby would live and took "dry up
pills".  At end of 10 days,  when  she finished her pills, milk came in.
She called me and asked if I thought she'd be able to   nurse.  Got her a
primitive electric pump (those old gomco's we were talking about a while
ago).  She got drops, literally, total of maybe an ounce for a day, kept on
trying.  God forbid she would ask  to nurse, she didn't even get into the
nursery in those days. saw baby every day through a window!  When baby was
6 weeks old and 4 lb., a nurse stuck  her  head out the nursery door and
told her not to worry they weren't spoiling her!!!!!!!!!! In tears mom
decided to sign baby out AMA the next day.  She nursed a volunteer's baby
that night and next day and her supply increased dramatically overnight.
Went home with  baby (I'm surprised in retrospect that they didn't call
DYFS) and went to bed with baby and NURSED.  Baby lost an  oz first day,
stayed same the 2nd day and began to gain on the 3rd day!!  Nursed like
that was what she had done all  her life.  Went on    to  nurse over a
year.  She's in her mid twenties now.  I didn't believe it until I was
actually involved and saw it with my own eyes.  BTW she and mom   who
loaned her baby for stim (they had never met before that day!) became
lifelong friends.  They traveled all around Europe that summer with their
nursing babies which just amazed everyone that 2 American  women  were
BFing!  Sometimes it's fun to reminisce.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ