From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:24:56 -0800
 Okay...my 2 cents is that no one can tell just by LOOKING at the
nipples...you have to actually push back toward the chest wall at the edge
of the areola at 180 degree points simultaneously, and then check the
complete opposite direction.  This really does help.  If the nipples dip in
or go totally flat, there are things to help the mom.  The other thing it
does is it brings up the topic.   Lots of women who have nipples that look
flat actually pop out for this test and you can bolster their confidence a
bit if they've been told "you'll never bf with those nipples."  I agree
that large nipples are ten times harder than small nipples.  I just saw a
mom that had nipples (not including areola) the size of a quarter.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )------------**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**------------------ : )