From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 07:39:42 -0800
 Maureen:  I think you may have misinterpreted MY post on waterbeds.  I was
simply stating that waterbeds have therapeutic value and are in wide-spread
use.  The evidence on co-sleeping is relatively clear--it reduces the risk
of SIDS, helps breastfeeding, and syncronizes sleep patterns.  If basic
precautions are taken--putting baby on his back and protecting from those
valleys you refer to, there are very few risks provided the parents aren't
intoxicated or smoking (and that is true for all beds).  I believe those
risks to lower than the increased risk of SIDS or breastfeeding failure or
sleep deprevation effects from not co-sleeping.  Have you ever gotten into
a waterbed with a baby?  You may be making assumptions based upon old
(1960s) waterbeds which were incredibly sloshy.  One protection for those
types of beds is to increase the amount of water in them so that the bed is
firm.
WarmLLLy,
Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )             **CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**