From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:19:04 -0500
I ALMOST went and got myself some after the birth of my 2nd child.  I
was REALLY miserable for about 3 days.  My older daughter was still
nursing BUT was being babysat at her grandparents' house while I was
being taken care of by a kindly friend (who actually let me wet-nurse
her 4.5-mos old son a couple of times to help me out and it STILL didn't
do any more than take the bare edge off my engorgement on the right
side).  My newborn daughter was NOT managing to keep up with the supply
in the left side (which I said was "her" side; the right being my older
daughter's side) and it was feeling very full most of the time.  But the
right side felt ready to explode.  I think if I had NOT been nursing my
older daughter (who effectively emptied my right side as soon as we were
back together) I would have explored the oral contraceptive route (or
other combined hormonal contraceptives) to drop my supply.  I had bad
oversupply with my older daughter and things were obviously worse with
my younger except luckily the older one was nursing enough to make up
for it.  I do know one person who had very severe oversupply and a
couple of months after her daughter's birth she started taking the pill
and it brought the milk supply down to a "tolerable level".  She never
had problems with UNDERsupply and exclusively breastfed until she
introduced solids somewhere around the middle of the first year and she
nursed that child (while on the pill) until just past 3 years of age.

Now, I am still nursing both children, and given my younger daughter is
over 2, I feel I have met the WHO recommendation and she is not relying
on me as heavily for milk, and I was getting fed up with other birth
control methods and not ready to commit to a #3, so I started hormonal
contraceptives again just a week ago.  I opted for a Nuvaring though
because I felt that since it was as low a dose of hormone as possible on
the market right now, it might diminish supply less.  If I feel my
supply dwindles too much and my younger daughter really needs the milk
for whatever reason I might stop using it and go back to other methods.
 But so far, so good...in 9 days of use I haven't noticed a significant
drop.  It could come yet though...

Fio
Ressource person with Allaitement Québec
Mama to Sandrine, 5 in less than 2 weeks and Nyssa, 28 mos, tandem nursing.