Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:29:36 EST

Rachel says:

<<I have not  personally
experienced a non-latching baby, or even a baby who was the least  bit
hesitant to latch, at a home birth.  (The only anesthesia we use in  the home
is local infiltration after the baby is born, in the event that  sutures are
needed.  Only labors that start spontaneously and progress  satisfactorily
will lead to a home birth.  And since most of my  colleagues have never
attended a home birth, they really don't know what it  is they are trying to
simulate in the hospital when they claim to be striving  for a home-like
atmosphere there.)>>

I have.  Sigh.   Me.  Timothy -- my reason for being an IBCLC.  Home birth --
third  baby -- wouldn't latch/couldn't latch for over 5 days.  Was always a
crappy  breastfeeder.  Slightly high palate and receding chin combined with
short  stubby nipples.  But breastfed two girls with virtually  no problems.

Tim is the epitome of the WWM --  Wimpy White Male.

Or was then -- he's currently 6-4, a college senior double majoring in  psych
& Spanish and planning to go on for his PhD in psych one of these  days.  No
longer wimpy, though definitely a white male.  (Blue eyes  too, in case anyone
wants to know).

No meds, no separation, 40 weeks,  8-5 at birth, husband delivered because
the midwife didn't get there in  time....wonderful birth -- fabulous -- by
candlelight because there was no  electricity due to a storm.

Oh yes, and I was the only one there that KNEW how to deliver a baby....so  I
had to tell Bob what to do.  (Not the first time I've told him what to do  --
probably not the last, but he's withstood nearly 36 years none the  less).

Also, to complicate matters, I  produced a maximum of 3 cc in the left
breast, about 3, occasionally 4 ounces in  the right.  Never figured out why that
was either.  And had plenty of  milk for the girls.  (I say that carefully -- I
had *just enough*).

We persisted for a year with me pumping faithfully and Tim getting what he
could out of the right breast.  But we had to supplement the entire  time.

So there are those mysteries that just don't make any sense, and defy
explanation.  That's what keeps us humble, I think.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Jan Barger, RN, MA,  IBCLC

_Lactation Education  Consultants_