From:
Eva Bild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:03:40 -0800
I had a couple of gall bladder attacks in 2000.  My doctor suggested
having the gallbladder removed, but the wait list for the surgery was
many months long (I live in British Columbia) and I was not keen to have
surgery.  I found that by eating a diet low in added fats, I could
control the attacks.

I discovered that the nutritionists I consulted did not know anything
about how to deal with this issue.  The only solution offered was to
remove the gallbladder.

By experimentation, I found that small amounts of fat were okay, if they
occurred naturally in the foods: nuts, avocado, low-fat meat, eggs and
even fatty fish like tuna and salmon were all okay.  I developed a
recipe for low-fat salad dressing to which I added some flax-seed oil to
make sure I got those EFA's.

I also found (on a visit to France!) that if I ate cheese while drinking
wine, I had no attack, but cheese without wine would definitely cause
pain!!!  I guess the wine was a kind of solvent for the fat!

I coped fine with my gallstones until 2004 when suddenly I started to
have attacks after eating very low-fat foods.  At that point I found I
could no longer cope and had the gallbladder out.  Now I eat a much more
normal (but not necessarily healthier) diet.  Like many without a
gallbladder I have diarrhea after eating very fatty meals, but otherwise
I am fine.

Hope this helps.

Eva Bild

Eva Bild, MA, CD (DONA)
Certified Doula, Childbirth Educator, Breastfeeding Counsellor
Mothering Touch Centre
1562 Fort Street
Victoria, BC
250-595-4905