Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:41:56 EDT
Any hospital based lactation program out there have a form for parents that
discusses formula supplementation for the breastfed baby?  If you do and
wouldn't mind sharing the contents, please email me privately.  We just had
another incident where night shift nurse gave baby "half and half", i.e.,
half formula and half D5W via finger syringe feeding without parents verbal
consent.  Nurse felt she got informed consent when she asked "Is there any
lactose intolerance on either side of your family?"  When parents responded
"no", she then said "Then I will give the baby half and half" and left the
room.  Dad lay there thinking about this and it dawned on him that she was
referring to formula and ran down to nursery.  "Too late" nurse told him.  "I
already gave it".  TIA.  Loni Denman, RN, IBCLC