From:
TERESA PITMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:30:38 -0800

Anecdotal, of course, but...

I breastfed through three of my four pregnancies. Sadly, the nipple stimulation did not start labour - I went 42 weeks plus with all four pregnancies. I remember one conversation I had with an obstetrician about this and he said that if nipple stimulation would start labour, they'd be using it instead of pitocin, etc.

My daughter-in-law also breastfed through all her pregnancies (five) except the first. That first baby was born at 32 weeks. The others were all full term, although none went past 40 weeks.

I do, however, think that there are probably some women who may be more sensitive to the effects of breastfeeding/nipple stimulation during pregnancy and who need to avoid it.

Teresa Pitman