From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 23:28:57 -0900
Jay,

You didn't say how far along your friend is in her twin pregnancy, still
nursing an 18 month old.  There are many helpful resources available in
California.  And yes, many people successfully breastfeed twins. I lead a
monthly LLL group of all mothers nursing twins.

Here are some resources she can get, if she has time to read:

Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble has much information about twin pregnancy,
some nice model birth plans to fit a variety of situations (including
premature birth, C-section, etc.), interesting historical facts about
multiple births, explanations about types of twins, lots about the birth
itself.

Mothering Multiples by Karen Gromada has lots of information about dealing
with twins in the first year, including much helpful advice about
breastfeeding.  I understand that a new edition is coming out soon.
Available from LLL.
I would read these 2 books first.  If time, there are others available also.

Twin Services, P.O. Box 10066, Berkeley, CA 94709 Phone: (510)524-0863
http://www.parentsplace.com/ has many helpful printed handouts on various
aspects of twin care, from pregnancy through the teenage years.

Internet listing of other support services and resources can be found at
http://www.ghgcorp.com/4dee.html

In addition, check the Lactnet archives, which has many previous helpful
hints on managing twins and breastfeeding.  In my opinion, the greatest
challenge is getting mothers to understand that they will need extra help,
and being able and willing to accept it.  Especially with an 18 month old
who will need her continuing love and attention.

The most important thing she can do right now is to carry her twins as near
to full-term as possible.  Twin Services has a nice handout on preventing
preterm labor in multiple pregnancy.  Help her learn to listen to her body
and recognize when she needs more rest.  Also, it is important to keep
well-hydrated during the hot summer months with a multiple pregnancy.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, WI