From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:18:16 +1000
I'm very realistic about the motives of any company that makes money out of
infant feeding including infant formula, bottle and teat and pump
manufacturers. I think that we need to understand that their primary motive
is to make money and none are really "our friends." It's the tendency of
lactation supports to categorise companies as "good" or "bad" that concerns
me. I think that we need to look at their actions. So I'm happy to praise
Evenflo for taking action to become Code compliant. That's good, but it does
not mean that the company is "good," it is all about maximising profit and
they have obviously determined that becoming code compliant makes sense. I'm
happy that that is the case. Likewise, when a company ceases to be code
compliant (note the bottle and teat advertisement on Medela's website) then
I will criticise their action. Obviously such companies think that they have
cosied up enough to lactation supporters, given enough conference
sponsorship, advertising $$$ and chocolates that they can breach the rules
and no one will mind, they are after all "our friends". Tell me why this is
the case??? "But we really support breastfeeding" they might say. Well words
are cheap but it seems that it does not take a lot to buy lactation
supporters, so it seems anyway.
Karleen Gribble
Australia