From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 09:37:26 -0400
I have to wonder where all this 'panic' and 'fear' of co-sleeping is
coming from. If a HCP states how dangerous it is - we should encourage
moms to ask for the research proof of that statement. HCPs are people,
not gods.We need to remember to educate moms, that they have rights,
that their babies have rights,  that there are options other than what
most HCPs mention, and that we (as the patient or guardian of the
patient) has the ultimate decision power in the course of treatment. If
moms are breastfeeding and an HCP makes a negative statement or insists
on weaning - ask for research. Also encourage moms to take research with
her to support her position. I hate being in an adversariel position,
but it appears this may need to be the case to protect ourselves and our
babies/children. If we do not stand up for our babies/children, do we
have the right to ask someone else to?
    What we in America fail to know/acknowledge/state is that
co-sleeping is quite common in the world today - it is not an antiquated
practice. There are many reasons to co-sleep and poverty does not need
to lead the list. As with all human practices, there are exceptions and
cautions, how come certain practices (breastfeeding and co-sleeping top
the list) all the negatives and cautions rise to the top and are used
and inferred to be the rule, rather than the exception?
    In answer to the post about whether the hospital/HCPs have the right
to administer to a minor child without parental consent, at least 12
years ago, the answer was Yes. All the meds, procedures, treatments,
interventions, etc. done to my son were done without our consent. A most
interesting look at that situation is the movie, "Baby Girl Scott." It
shows the situation that occurred when the HCPs interviened without
parental consent (many times over) only to eventually requiring the
asking of parental consent for removal of life support. Irony or
tragedy? Once again, it is another reason that the current trend of our
health care system, frightens and angers me.
    On the post concerning negative press - once again, someone has
implied that the negative and exception are the rule.  I have been
associated with LLL since 1977 and have yet to meet one Leader who has
stated in a meeting or official public setting a rigid 'Nazi' attitude.
Yes, some have had it and expressed their opinion after the meeting or
in written form to someone, but not in the open and publilc setting.
That is why I am still associated with LLLI. It is a shame that because
of articles such as that, some people will now equate the word Nazi and
breastfeeding advocates with each other. Oh well, another obstacle to
overcome.

I want to thank you for having a forum where I can express my opinions,
vent my frustrations and gain valuable information to continue in the
work I do. I appreciate it and value what I have learned here.

Leslie Ward, LLL, AAPL
Vine Grove, KY
"I do not do great things, I do small things with great love." Mother
Theresa