From:
Jackie Kampp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:43:57 -0800
A few weeks ago I posted about Sesame Street's "baby episode" and lack of breastfeeding.  Got a hold of an e-mail address and here is their reply:

"Thank you for your letter expressing concern about infant feeding on Sesame
Street.  We have dealt with a variety of issues and have always embraced
diversity and multiple points of views.  Consistent with this philosophy, we
have portrayed breast-feeding over the years as well as bottle-feeding.
Unfortunately, for the Elmo's World Babies episodes we did not portray both
breast-feeding and bottle-feeding.  One explanation for this is that we
didn't give the filmmakers specific directions to provide viewers with both
ways of feeding a baby.  We do, however, have in our library segments that
include equal representation of breast-feeding as well as bottle-feeding.

We will continue to deal with this topic very carefully so that
bottle-feeding is not conveyed as the best way to feed a baby."
"Pope, Evangelean" <[log in to unmask]>

Feel free to e-mail Ms. Pope.....

Jackie Kampp, RN, PHN, CLC