Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 18:40:06 EDT
I think I recall hearing Lawrence and Gartner speak at a conference just
after the 1997 AAP guidelines came out recommending breastfeeding should be
at least one year.  This was a change from the earlier recommendation of 6
month.  The concern of not making it two years was a cultural choice.  The
members of the AAP committee felt that American women would be upset with the
thoughts of 2 years, so they conceded to "at least 1 year, or as long as
mother and baby mutually desire to continue."  It was either Lawrence or
Gartner that said something to the effect that if they had know that women
were going to become so upset with the change to 1 year they should have gone
for 2 years.  In other words, if they were going to be dissatisfied with a 1
year recommendation, they could have just as well made it 2 years.

I don't think the formula monies AAP receives entered into their decision
making in these recommendations.  Remember that if formula fed the
recommendation is formula for just the first 1 year.  After 12 months, the
infant should be on solids enough to nourish the child and they can go to
cow's milk. (I tell my mom's they don't need cow's milk, water should be
preferred beverage.)

Warm regards,
Pat Lindsey, IBCLC - Lactation Services  www.PatLC.com
Pediatrics Plus' Lactation Consultant   www.pedsplus.com