Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 15:31:18 -0400
Thought I would throw in a couple.  The first two are good films worth
watching just because they are good.

Everyone's Happy (Maybe "Everything's Alright").  An Italian film starring
Marcello Mastroianni.  Mastroianni plays a man with four or five children
all over Italy whom he believes all live successful lives.  Until he decides
to visit them and finds their lives are all a mess.  Nevertheless, one
daughter has a baby whom she nurses between commercials she makes, or
something like that.  It's been a few years.

The Snapper.  A really funny Irish movie.  At the end, the heroine gives
birth and we hear the nurse come in and say "He's a great sucker".  Hmmm.
I've heard that before.

A not so great film where the breastfeeding message is maybe ambivalent.

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle.  Breastfeeding is shown in a somewhat
sinister way.  Typical Hollywood formulaic movie.  (Hero or heroes at first
blissfully happy; then bad guy or guys get into their lives making situation
completely horrible; nevertheless they start finding a way out of the
hopeless situation; but the way out does not work out completely, and it all
ends up with a huge fight; guess who wins?).

And a truly horrible film that just made me cringe, not only for its
handling of breastfeeding.  City of Hope.

A mother with leprosy, poor as dirt, supposedly living in the worst slums
possible in India is given Nestle's formula by American physician after he
tells her she doesn't have enough milk.  Camera lingers lovingly over the
Nestle product so we couldn't possibly miss the name unless we had a petit
mal seizure at the same time.  Not only that, American doctor tolerates
mother with leprosy, poor as dirt, selling some of the formula to other
mothers.  This shows that he has become acculturated to India's reality.
Before he was just an American jerk.  Now he has become an international
jerk.

These and other films can be used as teaching aids for various situations.
Livens up the talk a bit.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC