From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:23:21 EDT
Ok, now I'm really in denial about needing to pack for Sydney, but I'm not
desiring to think about the long flight, so I'd rather chime in here.  When we
see the babies we assist fatten up and continue to breastfeed long-term, we
truly are making a difference in the world.  We really do have a valuable part of
the health care team in the health and well-being of the babies we serve.  I
only wish that we had a stronger impact on the other members of the health
care team.  But, anyways, that's a whole different discussion, and I haven't the
time to get into it for now.  I'll save my thoughts until the ILCA Marketing
meeting at Sydney, if I'm awake enough to talk at 7AM, well, that'll depend!

My support group met last Monday, and 6 moms attended.  I modestly realized
that I made a difference in each of their lives, yet I firmly believe it is
these moms who are the heros.  Each of the moms had overcome obstacles in their
breastfeeding to persist with feeding their babies at breast.  One mom had a
severely inverted nipple (though I don't think she even realizes it to this day)
as I'd assisted with latch-on soon after birth and never told her so!  One
mom has a little boy with Down's who endured the low tone, etc. and yet has
breastfed him initially with breast-aids, but eventually exclusively without the
aids.  He's now about 5 months old.  Another mom endured a horrendous yeast
problem, but complied with my candida protocol and her 4 month old son weighs 21
lbs.!   Our topic was regarding solids, and I, like everyone else on this
list, am trying to combat all of the bad advise out there that doesn't support
ongoing breastfeeding.

These are indeed happy visits, and we all have a right to them, and to
acknowledge ourselves and each other for the good outcomes.
Carol Chambin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL