From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:57:40 EDT
Dear Folks:
  There is a theory called the lethal gene theory. I don't know where the
original citation can be found. The theory says that if there is a flaw or
failure in any aspect of the reproductive cycle which affects more than 3% of
the species, that species doesn't survive. So there couldn't even be as high
as a 5% rate of women who couldn't breastfeed because we all wouldn't be here
now.
   However, consider this point: humans  may be doing something to themselves
with pollution, and with with decreased breastfeeding initiation and duration.
Consider the parallels with fertility.
   Sperm counts around the world are dropping. Pollution has had impact on the
reproductive activities of fish, frogs, and alligators, among other animals.
Remember the raptors whose eggshells were too fragile to withstand life that
was found to be an after effect of DDT use? Can the impact of the modern
chemical age upon fertility be extrapolated to have any impact on
breastfeeding?
   Speculation: has the lack of breastfeeding in several successive
generations made an impact on women today who want to and can't? Formulas are
known to contain phthlates and in the case of soy formulas, phytoestrogens,
and lord knows how many other contaminants and by-products of our chemical
age. Does that also have an imact on future breastfeeding? Who knows? Nikki