From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:21:22 EDT
Jackie, if you liked Rachel Carson's work, please read "Living
Downstream: An Ecologist looks at cancer and the environment" by Sandra
Steingraber. Things have NOT improved since Rachel Carson's time. Sandra
is a young biologist/writer who also had breast cancer; the following is
from the jacket of the book: "Living Downstream is for all readerswho
care about the health of their families and future generations.
Steingraber's brave, clear and careful voice is certain to break the
paralyzing silence on this subject that persists more than three decades
after Rachel Carson's great early warning".
Please, please read this book and support this wonderful person. No, I
don't know her personally, but I did hear her speak on the radio with Dr.
Ronald Hoffman, and I felt that I had to purchase her book and support
her efforts. It's  beautifully written and presents a serious subject in
a lyrical fashion.

Pearl Shifer, IBCLC
Brooklyn, NY