Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:58:40 -0400
The following post is from a mom I know on a parenting website. She
has given me permission to post her reply to me on Lactnet. Hope this
helps a bit.

Jenn

***Yes my DH has cancer (metastatic tongue, spread to lymph nodes both
sides) - it is not considered "terminal" in fact the latest MRI shows
no visible tumor!  I have been giving him some EBM off and on for
several months.  Before he was on a feeding tube I'd slip it into his
milk shakes (no informed consent there!)  After reading lots and
looking at his "formula" for his tube feeds he finally asked me
"what's the difference between what I get in my tube and the milk you
make for baby?" (our 5th child will be a year in September).  Here was
my "in."  I said short answer "antibodies" (among everything else, but
I thought he wanted to cut to the chase).  Then he asked a friend of
mine the same thing and she concurred, having not known what I said.
 Then he asked me if I'd give him some.  I gladly pumped.  As a spouse
of a cancer sufferer you feel pretty much useless.  This gave me
something concrete I could do.  Given I didn't pump much, or
consistently sometimes only 2-4 ounces.!
I found fenugreek really helped to boost my supply.  There is no
reason to think the amount helped or didn't help.  One thing's for
sure though, it helped our spirits - something that can't be measured.
 It was liquid love.
I commented to some friends last night that Anastasia is the only
child of mine that will have never tandem nursed (all the other
siblings did, as they were all about 2 years apart and weaned at 4- 4+
years).  Then it occurred to someone as they left that she *is* sorta
tandem nursing (or at least sharing her wealth) with her Dad.  LOL
I don't know if this helps.  It's our story.  Some think it's odd,
others wonderful.  We are doing what we think is best for our family
in our situation.  I asked Jack Newman how much I should try to give
for it to make a "difference."  He basically said there was no
definitive answer that he knew of.
Patricia V***