From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:24:26 -0500
Kim wrote:
"In the literature, that I am sure many of you will download, read
and share,
it definitivly states that depo should not be administered to
EXCLUSIVE bf
women before 6 wks postpartum. (which makes me wonder, what if mom
says she
is "going to do both" like we hear so often?)

Secondly, in risks reported by 1% or less of the women studied in this
clinical trial, prevention of lactation, as I think they worded it,
IS THERE
in print!  So guess what?  IT IS in writing and we do have something to
share with HCP's on this subject.

As one of my peer counselors pointed out when I shared this info with
her,
"what's 1% of a million?".  In other words, 1% may not seem like a
lot, but
overall, it is huge.

Honestly, if we don't speak up about this issue and what we are
seeing, and
begin to demand change, who will?"

Umm, Kim, I think that is the point. If we don't, no one will and
that is just how the system would like it to be. Hence the IBLCE
collusion with the medical system to silence LC's. They have no
problem that we doggedly go along "helping mothers breastfeed", so
long as we turn a blind eye to the practices that they impose on
women and babies that cause breastfeeding to fail. Because
breastfeeding is so integral to all of life, we know  we cannot carve
it away from the rest or our lives. Breastfeeding in not about
breasts--it is about human experience--there isn't much room for this
truth in the medical model.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA