From:
Peg Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:00:37 -0500
I saw a mom today who normally has a very high cholesterol level.
Prepregnancy she was on medication to lower it, but has been off of the drug
for a year.(in order to get pregnantand during pregnancy)  New tests now
show that her HDL level was 325 - way too high LDL levels are way over
200(forgot to write that down). Of course, the Drs. only solution is to stop
breastfeeding by the time the baby is 3 months and go on heavy drug therapy
to lower her cholesterol levels. He is reccomending Zocor which Hale lists
as an L3.  Most dietary things to lower cholesterol won't bring it down low
enough and fast enough?  Am curious if anyone has any tricks for lowering
cholesterol that I may not have thought of and if anyone has had experience
with Zocor?  Mom has had a hard time nursing and is just beginning to see
the light at the end of the tunnel. She doesn't really want to quit, but I'm
hard pressed to argue with a Dr. who tells her the baby needs adequeate
nutrition as well as a living mother, and out right scares her by saying
"What's the point of breastfeeding if it kills you! A baby needs hermother!"
What would you do???  Any and all ideas welcome.
Thanks for the input!
Peg Merrill, IBCLC