From:
Tom Lueck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:40:35 -0500
I was smiling at Esther's post also.  Although I usually want to scream when
this happens at the hospital.  When I walk into a room at the hospital and
the mother gives me a big smile and tells me that breastfeeding is going
GREAT, and I look at the windowsill and see a bunch of empty or half empty
formula bottles my stomach just clenches.  I know that I'm going to have to
do a lot of talking to convince that mom to just NURSE, when giving that
formula is keeping the baby quiet and asleep and IN THE CRIB!  The next day
they are usually frantically calling me into the room because the baby has
started to refuse the breast because that slow colostrum flow is just not
enough.  Of course, they don't want to hear that it's because the baby has
received so many bottles, they just become more convinced that there is "not
enough colostrum" for the baby.

Melinda Lueck, RN, BSN, IBCLC, LCCE

Toledo, Ohio, USA