From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:22:29 +0300
As one whose children were only allowed to visit for one hour twice a week
when I was hospitalized for 6 weeks in  for a high-risk pregnancy in
England, many years ago, I always campaigned for some sort of prioritization
in organizing visiting hours: partner and children first and unrestricted,
then close family and lastly miscellaneous friends, neighbours and work
colleagues.  However not every new mother welcomes her mother as much as she
would like a visit from her best friend, after all family relationships are
so variable.

Anyone who has worked or visited in an Israeli hospital may well compare the
wards to Grand Central Terminal.
There is unrestricted visiting from morning to lunchtime, then a two-hour
nap-time during which the mother in the next bed makes all her phone calls,
cleaners come in to empty trash cans, and somebody`s mother-in-law has
persuaded the guard on the door that as she has travelled at least 50 km to
get there she must be allowed in - with extended family bearing picnic
boxes, pizza and falafel!

The problem is that with chronic staff shortages, if a new mother (or any
other patient for that matter) does not have a family member or friend with
her most of the time, she does not get the necessary assistance for basic
needs.
Most women are very pleased to get home as soon as possible.
In prenatal class, we discuss how to get breastfeeding started in this
unrestful atmosphere and as most hospitals have a designated breastfeeding
room providing privacy, a water cooler, comfortable chairs and cushions, I
advise the women to escape there when their own room is too noisy or crowded
even with their own visitors.
But occasionally I hear a mother say that she didn`t really breastfeed
properly in the hospital because she had so many visitors and did not feel
comfortable about leaving them.
But that is obviously a deeper problem because when they get home, they
don`t want to breastfeed in the living room when there are visitors and
don`t feel good about escaping to the bedroom....and so it goes on.
Wendy Blumfield
NCT UK Trained Prenatal Tutor Teacher/Breastfeeding Counsellor
Israel