From:
"Ann G. Cagigas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 14:31:58 -0400
I just received a call from my newly accredited LLLeader daughter (I'm so
proud of her) with her first major advise call.   She called me to discuss
it after she researched using an older version on Hale and got permission
to post.   The Mom is 37 with a 7 month old child who is on solids and BF
about 7 - 8 times a day.  She has been diagnosed with a Macular
degenerative disorder, generally not seen at this young of age, and has
been told to wean and begin taking "Ocubit Preserver Vision" sp?  It
contains 7,0135 IU of Vit A, 400 IU of Vit E and 1.6 mg of copper four
times a day.  This puts the Vit A total to
> 28,640/ day.  Hale recommeds not to consume >5,000 IU/day under
pediatric concerns, L3 lactation risk.  In my Nursing Drug handbook it
indicates that it peaks in about 2-4 hours and duration is unknown.  This
would make it difficult for this Mom to manage a normal baby's BF pattern.
She does not want to wean.  Any thoughts, experiences with high doses of
Vit A?

Ann G. Cagigas, RN, MA
GSA Health Unit,  Room 1010
1800 F St., NW