Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 15:15:18 -0400
I can't imagine a connection between breastfeeding and low platelet count.
But a platelet count of 142,000 is not really very low, and in some labs
would be considered normal.  Normal is normal, even if it is 50% less than 3
years ago.  142,000 is certainly not likely to be a problem for clotting.
The easiest way to get a low platelet count, incidentally, is do the
venipuncture poorly, and have trouble getting the blood.  That will do it
every time.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

P.S. Re: Nancy Wight's comment on the opthalmologist.  Is my tactful
approach catching on?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC