Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2014 19:49:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
As many know, especially from my explanation of histological origins of the term "lactiferous sinus" stated in my JHL RPS article, I definitely do, in fact, believe in "lactiferous sinuses". (For anyone desiring a copy of the article, email me privately.)

Many have been persuaded (by ultrasound research on lactating breasts, performed only AFTER 4 weeks postpartum), and have therefore taken for "gospel", that lactiferous sinuses do not exist. 

My question continues to be: "Why would an anatomical feature DISAPPEAR totally during the active phase of it's only physiological function, when it can be seen on microscopic exam of breast tissue from children of both sexes, adult males and non-pregnant, non-nursing adult females (whose sinuses have a thick elastic wall not seen in males), and continue (or somehow "return again") to be seen in surgical and histology and radiology literature in women whose breasts, (whether ever nursed or not) have involuted?" 

When I was first notified of this "finding" by Diane Wiessinger after her attendance at a conference, I hopped on a Greyhound to Chicago to attend the very next conference I could find at which Dr. Hartman was speaking. When I posed the question privately, his exact words were "We are unable to demonstrate the presence of lactiferous sinuses on ultrasound."  I have heard other members of his team state and write about it in much different wording.

I believe it is crucial to understand their existence, plus the fact that they seem to change during pregnancy and continue to do so even more during the time when active nursing (or hand expression or pumping) begins. They seem to return to their original size and position near the base of the nipple during breast involution between pregnancies and when childbearing and nursing are completed.

I have found it helpful in many cases to be able to assess their depth and size, (which are not always equal in both breasts of some women) so as to be able to assess the forces acting upon and/or often interfering with the function of lactiferous sinuses, especially during postpartum breast swelling. The successful use of breast pumps and of hand expression as well as comfortable, efficient breastfeeding itself depends in large part on the ideal application of forces on the lactiferous sinuses, which, to me, appear to exist in that location for an important physiological reason. 

I found this full PDF article today and wanted to post it so that Lactnet readers who wish, may have a full understanding of their anatomical presence examined within the specialty of radiology.

http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/pdf/10.1148/rg.292085128

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC     Dayton OH

http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/pdf/10.1148/rg.292085128

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2