From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:23:05 +0200
Good morning all,

Thank you, Virginia, for pointing that out again.
Being a language purist is something I often get blamed for... hahaha. ;o))
Actually, the document I needed the research for, is one in which I make the
same plea you do.
I make a clear difference between breastmilk feeding and breastfeeding.
In Dutch, the words are even more different, because we don't say
'breastmilk', but 'mother's milk'.
The word 'breast' is than out of the picture, which emphasizes the important
difference.
My writing that piece has a sad reason: the board of the Dutch bf
organisation is arguing that because pumping is so common nowadays, bottles
are no longer associated with no breastfeeding. This is what they say:  "Hoe
normaler borstvoeding wordt in onze maatschappij, hoe meer flesjes en spenen
geassocieerd worden met het geven van borstvoeding." Translated: "The more
normal breastfeeding is in our society, the more bottles and teats will be
associated with breastfeeding." My goodness... this is clear nonsense; how
ridiculous can it get?!
I've written a four-page article with many references to extend a different
view to my colleagues and to provide material to consider. The editing
committee for the quarterly magazine stepped down, because they don't agree
with allowing code violators as advertisers in the magazine. Two of them
were running the Dutch IBFAN-group, one of them is in the ICDC.
Mind you... it's the same story in the professional lc organisation (where I
am still on trial in the editing committee to see if I can and want to fit
in), so I am in the midst of people that still have to be convinced of the
importance of the WHO-code... :-((
I called Pamela Morrison last week and we had a very valuable talk on the
phone. We discussed how important it is to be able to look at yourself in
the mirror and be at ease with yourself as far as your conscience is
concerned. She gave me this wonderful image that I will not withhold from
you all. She, as an expert on breastfeeding and HIV, said: "With important
decisions, I take that typical African woman in mind, with a baby on her
back and a toddler right beside her, seizing her skirt, somewhere in a
village, and I say to myself: 'What I am doing here, the decisions I agree
with, are they in HER best interest?' If the answer is 'No' too often, I can
no longer be part of what goes on." To me, this is such a strong image. Of
course we discussed that I take a different mom in mind, but the principle
is the same. With that focus, it is easier to take decisions that are close
to your heart. It is easier to not let yourself be muzzled, because SOMEONE
has to speak up for those who need the protection, promotion and support we
are supposed to give, as lc's even on the basis of the documents we have to
adhere to, such as the Code of Ethics and the Scope of Practice (and the
Clinical Competencies and the Exam Blueprint). When an lc board member says
we only have to deal with 'breastfeeding' (no further explanation of what
falls under that definition...) and we don't need to be ashamed of our level
of knowledge, but we don't compare to, say, immunologists or midwives, I
have serious problems accepting a piece with that drift for the members'
magazine. The language purist in me starts screaming and shouting: "Do you
know how this will end up in people's minds?! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!!" This is
a straight road to breaking down our wonderful profession and I take severe
offence at that.

So, Virginia, I'm in your camp completely and am sorry for not having been
more precise here on this list... hahaha.
I am now going to finish the piece I started yesterday and will check it
again for the language aspects and polish if necessary.
It was a sad day yesterday, because we got hold of a picture of a poster
from the BFHI-body, with a banner at the lower part, saying: 'Also/Partly
made possible by M*****'; how sad is that? The BFHI-body was aware of this
and says to have been 'pragmatic' (Pamela, as your article stated:
'pragmatic' often means 'compromising'!) and made no objections. An
institution that has to hold candidate-certifiers responsible for respecting
the WHO-code if they want to receive BFHI-certification, that allows
code-violators to have their name on a poster with the BFHI-logo as long as
there are no teats and bottles on it... are you all still with me? Where
does this lead? What is the value of certification, when this goes on?
My... all the letters I feel I have to write... I can sit down behind my
computer in the morning and work until 11.00 pm, only to leave the screen
for tea and toilet, lunch and dinner! ;-)

Have a good day,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands

P.S. Thank you, Chris, for your reference; tried to thank you privately, but
the e-mail apparently failed to reach you. ;-)