Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 22:05:15 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
I'm currently reading a used book I picked up... copyright 1986 by Penny Armstrong and Sheryl Feldman, called A Midwife's Story.  It's autobiographical, the story of Penny's journey to become a midwife, to discover a better way of birth, and helping the Amish (and some English) birth.  Breastfeeding is brought up, but it's done so naturally--well most of the time.  In one chapter she compares (this would be in the 70's) an Amish homebirth with a hospital birth she observed the day after the Amish birth, it's an amazing chapter.  She mentions the lack of breastfeeding in the hospital birth, but the mentioning of the baby nursing in the Amish birth is just part of the narrative...

One part that struck me particularly was her description of a 4th trimester miscarriage she had herself... She made the statement that a miscarriage at this stage in pregnancy can be more painful (physically, although she addressed the emotional issues as well) then birth of a full term child... something I never knew, as I had one unnecessary c-section and one very necessary c-section, but I did have a 4th trimester miscarriage that was pure hell.  It was validating to hear her opinion of this, to have my own feelings (physical and emotional) over that miscarriage validated.

Anyway, I just checked and it was re-released in 2007...

It is a beautiful book, and I wanted to share.

Joylyn
with no more letters after my name, as I am not with LLL anymore, and am only helping friends and family to breastfeed--and the odd client who still calls me.  I guess my most important qualifications will always be MOMMY. :-)
--
And this above all
To thine own self be true
And then it must follow
As the night follows the day
That thou can be false
To no other man

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2