From:
Jan Ellen Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:05:43 EST
In a message dated 11/28/04 12:02:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

The  very
limited research that has been done used a prescription  product,
Pancrease MT-4.  I wonder if digestive enzymes available at  natural
food stores could achieve the same effects?  Or is there  something
special about the prescription variety?

Dear Margaret,
    It has been my understanding that non-enteric coated  enzymes (like many
OTC) do not survive the acidity of the stomach.  I began  by daughter with
cystic fibrosis on these type vegatable enzymes while  I awaited a script for
Pancrease and they did not help her pancreatic  insufficiency/malabsorption.

    There are various brand names:  Creon, Pancrease  etc.  I have had 2
clients get a prescription after the JHL Feb 2002  18 50-52 (?) was published for
highly allergic infants.  In one  case it seemed to be effective but mom was
also on a stringent elimination diet,  so it is hard to say.

    The brand-name enzymes are expensive, generics not so  much.  An adult
could take higher units than the 4,000 (Pancrease M-T 4),  over 25,000 units is
discouraged.  The major components are lipase,  proteases and amylase.  Take
prior or midway of meal or half first/half  after.  The enzyme origin is
porcine or bovine.

Good luck,
Jan Ellen Brown RDH IBCLC, Charlotte, NC, moving home after house fire in
Feb and glad to be back on Lactnet!