From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:02:02 -0500
Laura, glad you brought this up.. it has inspired me to take a longer look at this whole subject of galactagogues.

I do know women who have taken domperidone in the past, all 3 of them noticed a definite increase in milk supply and a decrease when they stopped taking it.  Proper lactation management was taught with good support from family and professionals. Two of the women were using herbal galactagogues to start with a slight increase in supply.

It will bear more research.. considering its possible implications in affecting milk supply, one would think there would be more research being done somewhere! I took a look at the Infant Risk site- from what I understand, it has been given "orphan"drug status and still will be a few years before it is available. Hopefully the required research done will be higher quality. I agree, there are no magic bullets, but for the 3 moms I know, it was the last thing they tried and it helped tremendously.

Incidentally, this is what also came up when I plugged in drugs + long QT interval:

Substances and medications known to potentially prolong the QT interval include: anti-arrhythmics, antibiotics, anti-cancer medications, anti-convulsants, antidepressants, anti-hypertensives, anti-fungals, anti-infectives, anti-malarials, anti-mania medications, anti-nauseants, anti-psychotics, appetite suppressants, bronchodilators, catecholamines, cholinesterase inhibitors, decongestants, diuretics, immunosupressants, muscle relaxants, opiates, sedatives, stimulants, sympathomimetics, and vasoconstrictors.

Grapefruit and Quinine (often used as flavor in tonic water) are also strong QT prolonging substances.

I do know from joining a forum for persons with A-fib, that foods have been known to trigger arrhythmias in many people. Caffeine, including sodas, tea and coffee as well as chocolate can affect a person's heart rhythm as can foods one has an allergy or is sensitive to. There are herbs known to have an effect, including licorice. For myself, I can be guaranteed to mess up my cardiac rhythm with some well timed chocolate and coffee without a decent meal.. stress is also a big factor which is why I resigned from my fire department - my pager going off would wreak havoc on my dear old pump..

Would be prudent for any mother choosing this route to also be screened for possible long QT interval before she makes the decision to take domperidone and which sounds like something which everyone with a family cardiac history should be screened for anyway. Certainly it would be prudent for any of us, if asked about information about domperidone, to tell the mom of the risks involved. Good reason to be under the care of a competent practitioner if one decides that is the route one wishes to go.

So that's what I did with much of my evening! My lucky husband won't be home this evening to hear about all the cool things I learned about meds and the heart and his favorite subject (NOT)- breastfeeding - no worries, I'll save it up...

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL, eternally curious!