From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:15:23 -0600
Brenda,

I don't know about daily exposure, but a friend and coworker was exposed
last week to formaldehyde.  She was preparing a specimen for transport to
pathology and the spigot malfunctioned on the formaldehyde container and
poured all over her and onto the floor.  She had chemical burns on her arms
and was overcome by the fumes, difficulty breathing, and blurred vision.
She had just finished weaning her 18 month old the several days before this
happened.  She was given hydrocortisone cream and benadryl for the burns
which did not help.  In case her baby attempted to continue nursing, I
consulted Hale.  It states that "it is very rapidly destroyed by plasma and
tissue enzymes and it is very unlikely that any would enter human milk
following environmental exposure. .There is no data suggesting untoward side
effects in nursing infants as a result of mild to minimal environmental
exposure of the mother."   Would daily exposure be considered mild?
Supposedly labs have strict guidelines on exposure.  However an exposure
like my friend's is different.  Her burns/rash were not improving with the
prescribed meds and her breasts were leaking so I suggested she express some
milk and apply that to the burns.  This was just a few days ago and I
haven't talked to her again but I will post to the list if it helped.
Formaldehyde is a Category X pregnancy risk.

Linda Anderegg, RNC, IBCLC, RLC in Chicago